Wearing clear aligners means being able to take care of them so that they don’t develop harmful bacteria that can transfer onto your teeth. Although they are more flexible than traditional braces, it does require a level of responsibility and commitment when it comes to keeping them in good shape. To help you better understand how to use your Invisalign Cleaning Crystals, a local dentist is here to explain.
What Are Invisalign Cleaning Crystals?
Although patients who wear Invisalign clear aligners can use at-home solutions to keep their trays clean (i.e., lukewarm water, clear soap, soft-bristled toothbrush), most dentists recommend specialized products such as Invisalign Cleaning Crystals. Designed to disinfect your trays, they work to eliminate bacteria and remove plaque. By soaking your trays in this mixture, they will remain clear, subtle, and most of all, clean.
How Are Invisalign Cleaning Crystals Used?
There are several steps you must take to ensure that you use your Invisalign Cleaning Crystals correctly. They include:
- Removing your clear aligners and rinsing them with warm water. This will help to remove any saliva from the trays.
- Fill up a cup with warm water before dissolving the contents of one Invisalign Cleaning Crystals packet. You may need to stir it in to ensure it is thoroughly dispersed.
- Place your trays into the water so that they are fully submerged.
- Allow your aligners to soak for 15-30 minutes before removing them and rinsing them with warm water.
- Use a soft-bristled toothbrush to gently remove any remaining plaque before rinsing the aligners again under warm water.
- Reinsert your trays and make sure to wash out the glass or cup used.
Should Invisalign Cleaning Crystals Be Used Regularly?
Yes. Invisalign Cleaning Crystals should be used at least once each day. This will help to keep your aligners thoroughly cleaned and void of harmful bacteria and plaque. If neglected, these can transfer onto your teeth and pose a potential problem (i.e., tooth decay, cavities). By regularly soaking them in this specialized mixture, you can ensure that your smile looks its best and is healthy when finished with treatment.
About 21st Century Dental of Irving
Dr. Kent Smith is a general dentist who also specializes in sleep medicine. Overseeing various practices throughout the Dallas/Ft. Worth areas, he is a platinum provider of Invisalign and is an expert at realigning smiles. Instructing patients to properly care for their teeth while undergoing clear aligner treatment ensures beautiful results, so he goes above and beyond to explain what and how to use certain products (i.e., Invisalign Cleaning Crystals) to guarantee a healthier orthodontic treatment. To learn more, visit our website or call (972) 255-3712.